Monday, February 06, 2006

Feb. 1st has finally come and what better way to celebrate my paycheck than buying a new guitar?! Yep, we have a new six string addition here at dotde. I've always wanted to learn how to play the guitar and since I'm stuck inside all the time (it being somewhat cooler than the 70 degrees F. I'm used to), I figure now's the perfect time to practice. My Yamaha 310 arrived two days ago in the world's largest cardboard box and I was able to play for at least fifteen minutes before my fingers threatened to mutiny. I'm working, right now, on learning "Leaving on a Jet Plane," which is a beautiful but very sad song. I think I should learn something a bit more cheerful next . . . like "The Drugs Don't Work." The thing is, you can really only learn sad songs when you first start because happy songs have too fast a beat. Actually, what I find works best is to select a song in G maj. and simply play the G chord throughout the whole song, regardless of any other chords that should be used. Luckily for me, J! is either very supportive of the arts or tone deaf, because he hasn't seemed to notice yet that everything I play is in the same key.

Speaking of music, J! and I went to dinner this evening at a hole-in-the-wall Lebanese restaurant in downtown Mainz. I highly suggest it for any future travellers to Mainz--the food is great and very cheap. The best part, though, is that the owner sings to you instead of talking. So, for example, when you finally decide you want the tasty mussaka, he'll croon away, "eine grosse oder eine kleine?" [big or small size?]. Eventually, if you are J!, you just give in and sing back . . . on the way out the door you'll hear a chorus of "Auf Wiedersehen!" with everyone choosing whatever tune they like best.



It gets its own chair . . .

7 Comments:

Anonymous Nathan E. Milos said...

May I suggest Fretboard Logic SE as a great book for learning guitar. Actually, it's the most intuitive one I've ever seen. I really think you ought to check it out. It might help a lot. (it won't teach you any John Denver songs though).

1:39 AM

 
Anonymous Klamka said...

Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya

Oh lord, kumbaya
Someone’s singing lord, kumbaya
Someone’s singing lord, kumbaya
Someone’s singing lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbayah

I am pleased that the world has another guitar player. Slowly the cold has a way of changing behavior and causing one to seek for the warmth that the lyrics from a Peter, Paul and Mary ballad can provide.

2:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i went to a lebanese place the other night too! it was on westwood blvd near santa monica. i got a kefta kabob with the little purple pickles. yum!

7:06 AM

 
Blogger d said...

Will this book teach me "Blowin' in the Wind"? Good to know about, though--the online lessons from about.com aren't as in-depth as I'd like. Also, as a guitar rockin' update--I suck at strumming.

9:56 AM

 
Anonymous Klamka said...

I do not know much about strumming but I do remember you are supposed to pick at the strings. Inhaling them does not create that Disco sound we all crave.

10:34 PM

 
Blogger d said...

ahhh, I knew I was doing something wrong . . .

9:55 PM

 
Anonymous Nathan E. Milos said...

sorry, no. The book I have mentioned is not a song book per se. Meaning it will teach you no songs. It teaches you the logic behind the fretboard and its unique design. If you want to learn blowing in the wind I'd suggest tabcrawler.com or a Bob Dylan cheat book.

11:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home